The Letter of Intent (or Statement of Purpose ) is one of the most critical documents examined by the Graduate Committee in evaluating your application. A well written letter is essential to the success of your application. Letter of Intent: Department of Applied Human Sciences
Department of Applied Human Sciences: Letter of Intent
The Letter of Intent (or Statement of Purpose ) is one of the most critical documents examined by the Graduate Committee in evaluating your application. A well written letter is essential to the success of your application.
In writing this letter, organize your material in a manner appropriate to your own style of expression. You do not need to follow all of the points listed below, although you should touch upon most, if not all, of them.
- Description of your current work and study activities
- What are you doing now?
- What studies are you involved in, if any?
- What is your present work? How might it relate to this graduate program?
- Indication of your work history as it relates to this graduate program
- What positions or work have you had that helps prepare you for this graduate program?
- What orientations or skills have you derived from your prior work, activities that might assist you in this graduate program?
- Statement of your professional goals where you want to be in five years time
- What are your goals five years from now?
- What kind of work would you like to be doing? What setting would you like to be working in? What kind of organization? Is this a continuation of a line of work that is presently represented in your activities or is this a whole new direction?
- Indication of your learning style and prior involvement with experience based education
- How do you learn best? What have been your best experiences with learning?
- What background do you have in experience based learning?
- What is your experience in working in groups?
- What is your learning style?
- What is your typical pattern of behavior in groups?
- Indication of what you know about this program and why you chose it
- What attracted you to this program?
- What do you see as its special draw for you?
- Description of personal factors that support your ability to do the kind of professional work for which this graduate program will prepare you.
- How would you describe yourself in terms of qualities that you believe will enable you to function effectively in roles related to your goals and the objectives of this graduate program.
Applied Human Sciences: Letter of Intent Website